Our History

Our History

Kings Monkton School was formed in 1994 from the amalgamation of two of Cardiff’s oldest schools – Kings College and Monkton House – both of which were established in the 1870s.

The influence of Kings and Monkton upon local education over the last century and a quarter has been immeasurable, since generations of local children have passed successfully through the two schools.

Former pupils have made their mark in all walks of life in South Wales and the wider world.

The two schools are now a single entity and the process of the merger was completed in 1997 when the school moved to its present location opposite Mansion House in the heart of Cardiff city centre, close to all the amenities of the capital city of Wales.

In 2013, the school was purchased by Heathfield Independent Schools opening up immense opportunities for the further development of our school, staff and pupils.

Old King Monktonians

The Association for past pupils has been in existence for almost as long as the school itself and continues to flourish.

We have a committee which meets approximately four times a year, to plan events and produce our newsletter which helps keep everybody up-to-date and in touch with the school.

We have a thriving Golf Section which meets once a month between April and October, and the occasional away tour either in Britain or Europe.

The association consists of members of all ages, those who have recently left school or those who attended several years ago.  It is a great way to keep in touch with friends and make new ones.

We are always keen to welcome present and past pupils and staff to join the association. In order to join the association please e-mail the Chairman, Stuart Edwards on stuart.1000@tiscali.co.uk.